#268-Act As If
Air Date: 6/22/2023
Repeat after me, “I have NO Problems…I have situations”. When we can
reframe any issue that we face, we are shifting our negative perceptions
into something less caustic. Problems now become just situations. When it
comes to our acting talent or acting career, we might need to consider re-
framing how we feel so we can embrace our progress and not beat ourselves up. I
have a three-word phrase that helps me see another less harmful view of myself.
It’s so powerful, in fact, that this simple phrase can alleviate a whole host of
“situations”! Tune into this episode of Casting Actors Cast and find out how you
can turn acting and career problems into manageable situations.
What do I mean when I use the phrase, Act As If”?
1. It means we can apply a fresh perspective to our inner thoughts
2. It means we can reduce anxious feelings that often accompany problems
3. We can use our acting talent in everyday life
When is it useful to “Act As If”
1. Working with others-Less insecure about ourselves
2. Making important decisions-a better lens for success
3. Feeling we’ve lost control-re-establishes a firm foundation
How to properly use this new viewpoint
1. Ask yourself what would “future you” do?
2. Make an active choice to behave differently than usual when confronted
3. Embrace the feeling of security that comes with acting as if…
Examples of situations that can benefit from “Act as If”
1. Choices you make when working on your acting: I am going to act as if my
character is flawed in an unusual way.
2. Choices with your career: What would you, five years from you, do in any
given situation. Do that now!
3. When you are feeling discouraged or rejected: I will act as if this is just a
teachable moment to create the more successful version of myself
It’s not a matter of creating a fantasy version of ourselves, but rather, a viewpoint
filtered through our better selves. When we “Act As If” we are using our creativity
to make better choices.
Jeffrey Dreisbach~ firstname.lastname@example.org~